On 7 July the Society enjoyed a visit to Belmont House near Faversham.
Only opened to the public 14 years ago, it is less well known
among Kent's many attractions. Belmont is an unspoiled Georgian
house, designed in the Palladian style by the architect Samuel
Wyatt, standing in beautiful gardens and surrounded by classical
The house was bought in 1801 by General George Harris with prize
money for defeating Tipu Sultan of Mysore at Seringapatam, and
was the seat of successive Lords Harris until 1995.
The Harris family played a significant role in British expansion
overseas during the 19th century and Belmont contains fabulous
mementoes of their history and travels: paintings, furniture,
Indian silverware and Raj items; the finest collection of clocks
in private hands in the country which are cared for by the National
Maritime Museum; and reminders of the famous cricketing 4th Lord
After our guided tour we enjoyed a cream tea in the converted
stables. Belmont is not a massive or a grand house but is altogether
pleasing. It deserves to be better known especially with all the
attractions of Faversham close by.