Otford resident Edwin Thompson gave an illustrated talk to the
Society on 15th June.
The illustrations were enjoyable to view, particularly seeing
the steam trains on Shoreham Station.
Mr Thompson gave an informative history of the early constructions
of the railway, with special regard to the single track line opening
on 2nd June 1862.
There were only two stations in use, one at Shoreham and the other
at Bat and Ball.
The Act of 17th July 1862 authorised Sevenoaks Railway Company
to extend the line to Maidstone and to double the initial single
track resulting in the Sevenoaks, Maidstone and Tonbridge Railway
Apparently when the Signal Box was going to be demolished it
was offered for sale for £1.
When Shoreham resident Ian Harper went to buy it, he was disappointed
to learn that it had been demolished overnight and removed from
Fortunately, Mr Thompson had several photographs of the signal
box and explained that on several occasions he was pleased to
be allowed inside.